multiple keywords such as "cell phone"; "police procedures"; etc.
Commercial Motor Vehicle Accidents and Hazmat Wrecks Expert Witness
Mr. Scott L. Turner provides the following services:
• Expert Witness Transportation and HazMat
• Transportation Consulting
• Cargo Tank Truck wreck
• Hazardous Material release investigation
• Hazardous Material Transportation incidents
• Hazardous Material injuries
• Hazardous Material regulation; FMCSA and OSHA
• Commercial Motor Vehicle Transportation regulation; FMCSA and PHMSA
• Large incident invoice auditing
• Commercial Motor Vehicle loading and offloading injuries
Mr. Scott L. Turner's second office is in Spencer, TN.
Litigation Support Services
With in excess of 25 years of experience in the fields of highway transportation, highway transportation incident management, highway construction management and my training to the highest federal levels with respect to both hazardous materials emergency response and federal level roadside CMV inspection training in addition to CMV accident investigation certifications and my ability to convey that experience and knowledge to any legal setting has proven very powerful during litigation.
Areas of Expertise
Cargo Tank Truck Incidents, Hazmat Wrecks, Industrial Lift Trucks, FMCSA Regulations.
Highly qualified and well rounded expert opinions are supported by nearly 30 years of experience in the highly specialized field of commercial motor vehicle (CMV, meaning “truck”) crashes and incidents, including 16 years at the helm of a national incident response company. Specializing in CMV crash investigation, CMV loading/offloading incidents, scene investigation and post crash/incident CMV inspection/investigations, Scott’s career of service includes response and investigation to well in excess of 1,000 CMV tractor-trailer crashes, 1,000 CMV loading/off-loading incidents, over 200 CMV cargo-tank truck crashes/incidents and a multitude of industrial setting incidents such as loading rack fires and/or explosions.
Trained in Level 1 FMCSA CMV roadside enforcement inspections and CMV post crash inspections, Scott’s in-depth knowledge of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, detailed and well written reports, in-depth knowledge of applicable standards of care and professionally delivered testimony can be a focal point of any civil or criminal litigation or arbitration where CMV crashes, with or without hazardous material involvement and/or transport related matters are at issue.
In addition to Scott’s years of experience responding to and/or investigating truck crashes, Scott spent several years behind the wheel as an 18 wheeler CMV tractor-trailer driver. In his overall driving experience, he was a driver of low-boys (flatbeds), dry-van trailers and cargo-tanks. During Scott’s experience as a CMV operator, he became extensively experienced as to both driving, loading and offloading of van trailers, load securement on drop-decks (flatbeds) and cargo-tanks. The approximate total mileage driven as a CMV operator was 250K.
During part of the years as detailed above, from 1995-2003 Scott was an instructor for the New Jersey State Police. In this specific discipline, Scott was a CMV crash specialist instructor for cargo-tank truck incidents and as an Instructor with a focus on CMV tractor-trailer crashes and recovery involving HM.
Scott has inspected many Commercial Motor Vehicles for road worthiness as required by the FMCSA. Not only was he responsible for inspecting his own trucks in the late 1980’s as pre and post-trip inspections, then overseeing a fleet of CMV inspections through the 1990’s and 2000’s, he eventually came to inspecting CMVs side-by-side with the New Jersey State Police at various CMV roadside inspections/weight stations. In addition, as aforementioned, Scott has responded to and/or inspected in excess of 1,000 CMV crashes.
Scott’s CMV expert consulting career started in January 2010. It has provided him a rich experience whereas he has continued inspecting CMVs post crash, crash scene/site investigations and inspections, litigation support and examining discovery documents and evidence, then pulling a seemingly impossible universe of documents together, then proffered into a well constructed report in the most difficult and complex of cases. Having served as a CMV expert in numerous cases for both Defense and Plaintiff throughout the United States, spanning from Hawaii to New York and from Texas to Michigan, Scott has earned an outstanding reputation as clearly indicated on the website testimonial section.
Continental US, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Alaska, US Virgin Islands, Canada and Brazil.
Scott L. Turner's Professional Experience, Expert Witness
Scott L Turner's Recognitions, Legal Consultant
SL Turner Consulting Client Testimonial, Expert Witness
CV of Scott L Turner, Legal Consultant
Truck Crash e-Library, Expert Witness
Contact SL Turner Consulting, Litigation Support
1993 – 2009; President/CEO HMHTTC Response, Incorporated (owned and operated a fleet of tractor trailers within HMHTTC Response, Inc.)
1995 – 2003; New Jersey State Police, Cargo Tank Truck Specialist Instructor
1995 – 2003; New Jersey State Police, HM Instructor for CMV Incidents
1991 – 1993; EPS, CMV Crash Response Manager / HM Management
1988 – 1991; Heavy Highway Construction Management (Hardroads/Della-Pello Highway Construction)
1985 – 1988; Professional CMV Tractor Trailer Driver/Owner-Operator
In excess of 1,000 CMV Tractor-Trailer Crashes
In excess of 1,000 CMV Loading/Offloading Incidents
In excess of 200 CMV Cargo-Tank Crashes
Motorcoach and Bus Crash Inspection/Investigation
Load Securement Failures CMV Flatbeds
Driver Qualifications; Hours-of-Service; Motor Carrier Fitness; CDL
Highway construction Zone Crashes - CMV
Loading/Offloading Incidents (Loading Docks/Loading Racks)
Forklift Operations/Loading Dock
CMV Post Crash Inspections
FMCSA & PHMSA Regulatory
Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR)
Maritime Shipping Container/Chassis Incidents
Professional Accomplishments and Accolades:
Scott L. Turner, former 17 year president/CEO and founder of HMHTTC Response, Inc. has been actively involved in hazardous materials emergency response since 1991. During this period Scott has become known as one of the Nation's foremost expert on hazmat response including cargo tank truck emergency response and recovery, in addition to possessing a diverse background in response to all modes of transportation including railroad and air. Scott, in behalf of HMHTTC has presided over some of North America’s most notorious hazardous material disasters such as, but not limited to: 1997 Federal Express air disaster, Newark Airport, NJ; 2001 Motiva’s Delaware City 1.2 million gallon sulfuric acid disaster; Hart Senate Building Anthrax release; 2001 American Airlines air disaster, Queens, NYC; 2001 CSX Baltimore Tunnel train derailment; BASF’s Freeport, Texas oleum tank car explosion and fire; G-4 Jet Crash in Teterboro, New Jersey; and the US Airways jet crash in the Hudson River, New York, January 2009.
• Winner of the 2006 NJBIZ Magazine “Business of the Year” Award
• Winner of the 2002 “New Jersey’s Finest” Corporation Award
• Winner of the 2003 “New Jersey’s Finest” Corporation Award
• Winner of the 2004 Ernst & Young “Entrepreneur of the Year” Award.
• Board of Advisors at Seton Hall University, Stillman School of Business, Entrepreneur Studies
• Recognized in 2002 as “Summerall’s Success Stories” by Pat Summerall Productions
• Hazardous Materials Emergency Response Specialist Instructor; New Jersey State Police, HMERPU
• Cargo Tank Truck Response Specialist Instructor; New Jersey State Police, HMERPU
• Involved in the writing of “Hazardous Waste” video (by EFG, remake 1995).
• Involved in the development of “Are You Ready? Building an LEPC and the role of the Public Official” video (by NJSP and HMAC, 1996).
• Involved in the development and of “The Right Response, MC-307/DOT 407, Cargo-Tank Safety” video (by Union/Middlesex HMAC).
• Involved in the development and of “Intermodal Container Emergencies” video (by Emergency Film Group).
• Advisory on 1996 publication “Hazardous Materials Emergencies Involving Intermodal Containers, Guidelines and Procedures.”
• Advisory on 1996 publication “Gasoline Tank Truck Emergencies, Guidelines and Procedures”
• Periodic speaker at Seton Hall University on Entrepreneurial Studies.
• Personally coordinated in excess of 1000 hazardous material incidents involving LTL and Trailer Load crashes and spills and over 200 tank-truck incidents.
• Former Member of Hazardous Materials Advisory Council (HMAC), Washington, DC
• Speaking engagements: American Law Firm Association (ALFA); Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA); National Tank Truck Carriers (NTTC) annual conferences (Annual Safety Managers Conference, Annual Board of Directors meeting); NJ State Safety Council Annual Conferences; Middlesex County Fire Academy; Hazardous Materials Advisory Council’s, Transportation Regulatory Compliance Enforcement Program; Marine Fire Fighting Task Force; Association of American Railroads (BOE); American Towmen’s Association; Vessel Operators Hazardous Materials Association; Pennsylvania Hazardous Materials Association Annual Conference (HACC); California Regional Hazardous Materials Response Organizations (CRHMRO); etc.
Descriptive Certifications/ Training:
Institute of Police Technology & Management, Commercial Vehicle Crash Investigation
New Jersey State Police/USDOT Commercial Vehicle Inspections, Enforcement; Level I – FMCSA
New Jersey State Police/USDOT Commercial Motor Vehicle Inspections, Enforcement; Level III – FMCSA
New Jersey State Police/USDOT Roadside HazMat Inspections, Enforcement; PHMSA
New Jersey State Police Weights and Measures; Commercial Motor Vehicle
New Jersey State Police, HM Highway Transportation Emergency Response Instructor
New Jersey State Police, Cargo-Tank Specialist, Highway Transportation Specialist Instructor
Tennessee MTA, North American Transportation Management Institute; Safety Supervisor Training
Tennessee MTA, North American Transportation Management Institute; Director of Safety Training
University of Findlay, Advanced Emergency Response – Cargo-Tank Truck
University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey, Site Investigation Certification
University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey, Site Investigation Supervisor Certification
AAR/Bureau of Explosives, Rail-Tank Car Specialist
New Jersey State Police, Confined Space Operations-Trainer
Rutgers University, Traffic Control Coordinator Certified
Smith System Multi-Company Driver Trainer-Instructor Certified
National Safety Council; Defensive Driver Certified
*Additional relative certifications available upon request
Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance
National Tank Truck Carriers (NTTC)
American Trucking Association (ATA)
North American Transportation Institute (NATMI)
Tire Industry Association (TIA)
Accident Reconstruction Communications Network (ARC)
National Academy of Sciences; Transportation Research Board (NAS;TRB)
Seminars & Training
American Law Firm Association (ALFA); Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA); National Tank Truck Carriers (NTTC) annual conferences (Annual Safety Managers Conference, Annual Board of Directors meeting); NJ State Safety Council Annual Conferences; Middlesex County Fire Academy; Hazardous Materials Advisory Council’s, Transportation Regulatory Compliance Enforcement Program; Marine Fire Fighting Task Force; Association of American Railroads (BOE); American Towmen’s Association; Vessel Operators HM Association; Pennsylvania Association Annual Conference (HACC); California Regional HM Response Organizations (CRHMRO); etc.