Forensic, General & Medical
Expert Witnesses

Spinal Cord Injuries


FIND MORE ARTICLES
Unlike most other wounds or damage to the body, spinal trauma may be long-lasting and life altering. When vertebrae are separated or traumatized, various effects may arise such as swelling, back pain, temporary paralysis or permanent paralysis.

These wounds are very delicate and may alter the way the body operates. Medical treatment usually requires surgery and rehabilitation to possibly include long-term assistance. Anyone who is involved in an accident or who is intentionally injured may suffer from spinal trauma. Many types of injury may lead to damage to the spine and management of these injuries requires hospitalization and expert health care which may become costly.

Spinal Damage Statistics

Throughout the years, spinal damage has affected both men and women to varying degrees. In the last decade, many spinal cord injury victims were between the age of 16 and 30. Most inflicted with these damages are male patients and at least half of them are employed at the time harm is sustained. Approximately 15,000 sustain spinal cord injuries every year. Slips, falls and coordination accidents may result in spinal trauma as well as other injuries. When damage is severe and affects the spine approximately 52 percent of individuals become paraplegic while the other 48 percent become quadriplegic.

Sources of Spinal Trauma

Spinal trauma and injuries may be caused by various activities. Damage is caused when quick and forceful impact slams into the spinal cord, which causes the vertebrae to be cracked or ruptured. Automotive mishaps cause powerful motion that traumatizes the spinal column. These injuries may lead to permanent conditions. Negligence is the usual cause of these accidents, and this negligence is the reason nearly 40 percent of all spinal cord injury accidents are the result of motor vehicle accidents.

Coordination accidents including slipping and falling on slick surfaces are primary causes of spinal accidental injury among senior citizens. With advanced age and medical conditions like osteoporosis, he elderly often experience loss of coordination and limb control. These impairments may create mishaps that harm their more fragile bones to a grave degree. When loss of life is not the end result, long-term care or multiple surgeries may be required to reverse or mitigate the damage suffered.

Among those inflicted with spinal traumas that are younger, various injuries may be caused by contact sports activities. Jumping and falling, running and crashing and even bashing into others’ bodies or objects may lead to serious harm to the spine when directed at the back. Enough pressure causes the loss of walking, limb control and long-term hospital or professional care. Even with minor wounds physical therapy may be required over time to reduce or remove the damage caused by these incidences.

Compensation for Injury

Tort law provides for the pursuit of compensation for medical injuries that are caused by the negligent or intentional acts of others. These accidents often occur when the party is driving; however, negligence may occur at other times as well. Laws for repayment explain that injury victims may be able to recover monetary compensation for medical expenses, future medical expenses, prescription drug costs, physical therapy, lost income, lost earning capacity, mental anguish, pain and suffering.

Seek Legal Representation

When looking for a lawyer, it is best to ensure he or she has the necessary knowledge and experience to aggressively pursue the case. Medical experts may be retained to help provide information to the judge or jury about the nature of the injury, the extent of the injury, additional medical treatment that may be necessary and information on the limitations that the victim will likely face because of the injury.

If the damage that arose was from an attack, the lawyer may need witnesses and any additional documentation from police or medical examiners to help substantiate the case. Cases based on negligence require the legal representative to establish all of the elements of a negligence claim by a preponderance of the evidence.


Provided by HG.org


Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this publication, it is not intended to provide legal advice as individual situations will differ and should be discussed with an expert and/or lawyer.

Find an Expert Witness