Chemistry Forensic Consultant and Expert Witness
3rd Degree Investigations, Inc. offers the following services:
Laboratory Confirmation and Analysis
We can do on-site weight confirmations of most controlled substances. If the claimed seizure weight of the controlled substance associated with your case is on the border for a higher charge, we can perform a confirmation analysis of the weight with our certified weights and analytical balance. Other forms of confirmatory testing are available upon request.
A stringent and thorough review of the State's case and the evidence can sometimes reveal fundamental issues with collection procedures, the chain of custody and the accuracy of the laboratory results for the evidence tested. Was the evidence collected in a manner to eliminate contamination? Was all the evidence considered? Was potential exculpatory evidence not collected and tested? Was the crime scene and evidence contaminated before it was processed? We provide a critical eye during a case review and will seek answers those hidden and often overlooked questions.
Report Writing & Testimony
A comprehensive and thorough report of our findings is provided with the understanding that additional courtroom testimony may be required. If you want assistance with the cross examination of a state expert, we can offer guidance with interpreting complex and scientific testimony.
Litigation Support Services
3rd Degree Investigations, Inc. provides unbiased and impartial expert testimony and litigation support services for both plaintiff and defense attorneys.
Areas of Expertise
Drug Analysis and Weight Confirmation, Post Conviction, Forensic Chemistry Consultation and Services, Expert Testimony, Case Review and Consultation with Analysis and Report Writing, Depositions, Crime Scene Investigation.
Over the last 13 years we have consulted on cases involving illicit substances, crime scene evidence, hair testing, DNA testing, collection of evidence and more. Each case is different and presents a new set of circumstances. We have worked a wide variety of cases including wrongful employment terminations to complex homicides. All of the elements in each case need to be examined so that the most accurate conclusion of the truth can be revealed.
3rd Degree Investigations, Inc. in the Social NetworksFacebook Twitter LinkedIn
More than ten years experience in the field of DNA, narcotics, poisons, hair testing results and determinations, false positive and false negative result determination of controlled substance testing, crime scene evidence review, investigation and case consultation. Expert consultation and testimony experience in criminal, civil, superior, military and federal courts. Consultant to state and federal law enforcement agencies. Areas of concentration:
• Crime Scene Case Review and Investigation
• Criminal Analysis
• Gunshot Cases
• Cocaine Analysis when doped with Menthol (report presented to the New Orleans Office of the DEA)
• Controlled Substance Reweigh Analysis – Mobile and on site (no need to transfer evidence to alternate site, can be done at the evidence holding location)
• Crime scene evidence review
• Case study review and analysis with reporting
• Expert Consultation and Testimony
o All cases worked included crime scene review with evidence review, analysis review and reporting.
1990-1995: Chemist for Roche Analytics Laboratories. Duties included analysis and reporting, laboratory methods and procedures, method development, and a variety of instrumentation analysis including ICAP, Ultrasonic Nebulizer for ICAP, AA.
1995-2005: Owner, operator, and director of Mira-Stat Corporation, a pharmaceutical development firm specializing in FDA controlled products. Independent consultant for FDA controlled substances, poisons, toxic metals and DNA.
1998-2010: Owner, operator, and director of Cable Technology Group Inc., a manufacturer of both electrical and non-electrical internal components for pharmaceutical and defense communications equipment. Maintained operations for a staff of 15 employees and handled technical and financial duties for the entire company.
2005- Present: Forensic Chemist/Investigator for 3rd Degree Investigations, Inc., in the field of DNA, narcotics, poisons, hair analysis review and examination. 3rd Degree Tactical Firearms Institute was in operation from 2008-2010 and was another leg of operation offering specific training designed for tactical operations and skill development. I was the sole operator and promoted all aspects of training and operations which developed skills for all groups from beginner to advanced shooters. Other fields of experience include, but are not limited to, crime scene analysis, criminal investigation, crime scene evidence review and child custody cases involving drugs and abuse.
Profile: More than ten years experience in the field of DNA, narcotics, poisons, hair testing results and determinations, false positive and false negative result determination of controlled substance testing, crime scene evidence review, investigation and case consultation. Expert consultation and testimony experience in criminal, civil, superior, military and federal courts. Consultant to state and federal law enforcement agencies.
Seminars & Training
• Certified Medical Investigator Level II, CMI-II – 30 Course Credit Hours 2009
• STR Data Analysis and Interpretation for Forensic Analysts
• DNA Extraction and Quantitation for Forensic Analysts
• Population Genetics and Statistics for Forensic Analysts
• Communication Skills, Report Writing, and Courtroom Testimony for Forensic Analysts
• DNA Amplification for Forensic Analysts
• Advanced and Emerging DNA Techniques and Technologies
• Laboratory Orientation and Testing of Body fluids and Tissues for Forensic Analysts
• Collecting DNA Evidence at Property Crime Scenes
• Crime Scene and DNA Basics for Forensic Analysts
• Registered Investigator, RI
• DNA: A Prosecutor’s Practice Notebook
• Tranquilizer Drug Forensics
• Typical and Atypical Homicide: Investigative Differences in cold Case Profiling
• Finding IED’s Before They find You: The SMOKE system of Training for Hazardous Device Detection
• Certified Medical Investigator III
• Interpreting Nonverbal Communication for Use in Detecting Deception
• The Offender Interaction Process Model
• Addressing the Urgent Need for Multi-Dimensional Training in Law
• The Last Frontier: Myths and the Female Psychopathic Killer
• Conflict and Crisis Communication
• Leadership Principles: Defined and Delivered
• Miranda Revisited
• Certified Medical Investigator IV
• Certified Medical Investigator V
• Certified Forensic Consultant
• Certified Instructor
2009, DNA: Crime Scene Evidence, Certification Module for the American Board of Registered Investigators.
2012 Presumptive and Confirmatory Testing for Controlled Substances Certification Module
2012 Clandestine Methamphetamine Laboratories: Hazards and Risks Associated
2018 - Injustice: Wrongfully convicted and Wrongfully Accused
Articles Published by 3rd Degree Investigations, Inc.
Mentholated Crack Cocaine
Menthol causes and endothermic reaction overtime and reduces the product to a slurry or paste form of the product beginning to occur after the first 72 hours of manufacturing.Read Article
Reweigh Analysis by an Independent
The seized crack cocaine in this case had diminished in weight by a significant margin, the cause was proposed and later determined to be as a root cause of adding Menthol to the produced product. See " Mentholated Crack Cocaine".Read Article
Wrongful Termination: Cocaine in Hair
Sampling procedures, collection procedures and testing procedures should all be evaluated when there is a question in the results.Read Article
Environmental Hazard Case: Methamphetamine Manufacturing
This is a case report of an actual occurrence. The needs of our services included evaluating the amount of seized product, the rate of production, and an evaluation of proposed hazards to the outdoor area and surrounding lives of the area of manufacturing.Read Article