Mechanical Engineering Expert
Alpine Engineering & Design, Inc. - Nathan Macdonald
Alpine, Utah 84004
► Contact Alpine Engineering & Design, Inc. - Nathan Macdonald
Product Liability, Machine Safety, Testing, Prototyping, Intellectual Property, Patent, Engineering, Design, Consulted on projects in the areas of new product development, design analysis, and expert witness support.
Areas of Expertise
Manufacturing Equipment, Patent Infringement, Testing & Prototyping,
In my career my work has been with clients that are in the Mining, Gas and Oil, Refuse, Thrill ride, and Exercise Equipment Industries.
I have worked on over 70 lawsuits, including 18 patent suits, in the role of associate to retained expert. Experienced and licensed mechanical engineering consultant (PE). Worked on the design and analysis of numerous projects, including ziplines, exercise equipment, trailers and towing equipment, aerial lifts, and other hydraulic and pneumatic equipment. Created multiple mathematical programs to systematize complex calculations. Designed and built multiple custom testing devices for acquiring data.
3D animation including, compliant mechanisms.
• Prior art searching and review.
• Drafting of opinions and reports, including invalidity, non-infringement, anticipation, and obviousness.
• Drafting of claim charts.
• Illustration and figure creation.
• Evaluation of programming provided for crane controls.
• Construction hardware patent litigation, including claim chart drafting, report drafting, prior art searches, invalidity and non-infringement arguments, exhibit prep, figure illustration, obviousness arguments, motivations to combine arguments, claim construction, etc.
• Exercise equipment patent litigation, including claim charts review, simulation, animation.
• Blender motor testing instrumentation, including diagnostics and solving SNR problems, data processing.
• Blender jar efficiency and benchmark testing including statistical procedure, analysis, and instrumentation/controls repeatability circuitry.
• Molded containers patent lawsuits including claim charts, prior art searching, obviousness/anticipation documentation, and demonstration.
• Oil field site practices, accident reconstruction, simulation, deposition review, etc.
• Automated refuse truck accident reconstruction, deposition review, etc.
• Construction site fire reconstruction, site inspection, thermal imaging.
• Tow truck accident reconstruction, physics simulation.
• Forklift and scissor lift accident reconstruction, deposition review, physics simulation, foreseeable misuse, safer alternative design considerations.
Commercial mowing patent litigation support in mowing deck construction, steering mechanisms, prior art searches, animation, simulation, etc.
• Printing industry product liability in heated presses, including accident reconstruction, product safety review, hazard analysis, warning labels review, deposition review, etc.
• Bulldozer product liability, including product safety, hazard analysis, foreseeable misuse, safer alternative design considerations, testing, safer alternative design implementation.
Licensed Professional Engineer, Certified Safety Professional, Certified Forklift Operator, Certified Scissor Lift Operator
Member of NATM, Utah Safety Council, National Safety Council
Licensed Professional Engineer
• Certified Safety Professional
• Certified forklift operator
• Certified scissor lift operator
Seminars & Training
OSHA training on Slips, Trips and Falls: OSHA Compliance, 30 Hour OSHA training (including Machine Guarding)
Nathan is thorough and knowledgeable in patent infringement litigation. He is easy to work with and is able to quickly come up with creative ways to demonstrate key opinions in ways that are easy to understand and defend.
Cara Donels Associate Fredrikson & Byron, P.A.
Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Brigham Young University, Academic Scholarship, multiple semesters.
Elective coursework including internal combustion engines, kinematic analysis, and electronics, and control mechanisms