Economic Damages in Complex Cases
Stanley P. Stephenson, PhD
Dr. Stephenson has more than 40 years of experience in economics and statistics. He served as Regional Commissioner for the Bureau of Labor Statistics, San Francisco Region; AVP at Aetna International, Inc.; and Managing Director at MESA, Inc. Dr. Stephenson taught MBA courses at the University of Hartford and authored numerous technical articles, reports, book chapters, and, most recently, co-authored the book Determining Economic Damages.
Gauri Prakash-Canjels, PhD
Dr. Prakash-Canjels's background includes academic, corporate, economic consulting, and non-governmental organization positions. She was a Consulting Director at Brewer Attorneys and Counselors (formerly Bickel and Brewer) and a Managing Director and founding member of GreatBridge Consulting, Inc. Prior to founding GreatBridge, Dr. Prakash-Canjels was a Principal at The Kenrich Group. She has served as an expert in Federal and State courts as well as mediation and Federal Trade Commission hearings.
• Economic damages assessment and expert testimony in complex tort & commercial litigation.
• The economics of various industries including high-tech manufacturing, software development, agricultural product processing, auto accessories, hotel, real estate, eating & drinking places, pharmaceutical, chemical, hospital, insurance, transportation, professional sports, retail, petroleum & cosmetics; international agencies & federal government.
• More than 400 cases including products liability, breach of contract, business valuation, construction defects, business disruption, intellectual property, employment disputes, lost profits, medical malpractice, personal injury, wrongful birth & wrongful death.
• Estimated damages in patent infringements in chemical, pager and gun manufacturing industries, plus gas distribution. Also, IP infringement by a Chinese firm of U.S. company trade secrets.
• Assessed lost profits & diminished business value in business disruption cases due to fire, construction defects, contract breach, & franchise agreement modification.
• Evaluated the present value of future medical costs in tort cases such as medical malpractice, products liability, premises liability & related cases.
• Developed forecasting models of economic activity (demand, market & industry analyses) to derive educational needs for Indonesia enabling $41m Asia Development Bank loan.
• Provided insurance industry competitor & market analysis, information technology, strategic planning, & economic assessment of key technologies.
• Created economic models to assess waste water management costs for a major processor of sugar beets. Analysis formed the foundation of the client's environmental accounting system.
• Estimated damages in misappropriation of trade secrets involving employees. In one case, lists of customers & vendors were used to start a competitor mail-order firm. In another, employees gave integrated circuit design & development plans to a competitor semiconductor firm who hired them.
Areas of Expertise
Complex Tort Litigation, Earnings Loss
About Litigation Economics' Economic Damages Expert Witnesses
Breach of Contract Cases Economic Damages Experts
Business Interruption Cases Business Disruption Lost Profits Experts
Business Valuation Experts Business Value Damages Loss of Goodwill
Intellectual Property Economic Damages Patent Infringement
Earnings Loss Economic Damages Lost Earnings Pension Benefits