Restaurant Subject Matter Expert; Litigation Engagements
Pacific Management Consulting Group is 100% focused on restaurant strategy, operations, earnings and economics topics.
Typical services: litigation support engagements (research, consulting, testimony), economics and earnings analysis and projections; business assessment and feasibility reviews; operational assessments, business plan and proforma creation, and review; detailed company business intelligence. Litigation support specialties: expert consulting and expert witness support for franchising matters, and securities litigation (Rule 10b5). Testified and deposed on both federal and state actions.
Also, M&A due diligence, wage and hour matters; revenue analysis (sales, average check, pricing. sales mix), cost analysis (cost of goods sold, theoretical food, bar and labor costs), other expense analysis and review, food commodity cost forecasting; marketing plan composition and execution analysis, media ROI; site selection and planning, human resources policy and recruiting matters; menu composition and review; business dispute investigation, channel checking, field work for security analysts; corporate processes review, G&A overhead review and analysis, business coaching.
Litigation Support Services
Pacific Management Consulting Group provides litigation support services in matters regarding chain restaurants, specializing in earnings, economics, and other analytical special projects, involving both expert consulting and expert witness roles, as well as research and business intelligence.
Areas of Expertise
Restaurant Earnings Analysis
Functional Overview: Chain Restaurant earnings and economics expert. Restaurant sector financial and operations analysis. Management systems creation, assessment and execution; organizational, financial management expert.
Typical Project Focus: research, projections, earnings analysis, revenue and expense analysis, M&A due diligence, special projects, economic and business feasibility studies, new business start-up, revenue enhancement, cost containment, profitability improvement, and organizational transformation advisory services.
Project and Subject Matter Experience: Quick Service Restaurants, Casual Dining Restaurants, and Fast Casual Restaurants. Business and economics research. Financial and operational analysis, earnings forecasting, planning, operational and capital budgeting, financial and operational reporting. Operational and management systems assessment, improvement and implementation. Restaurant, hospitality, foodservice and service sector organization management systems and procedures development. Balanced scorecard metrics and benchmarking. Business due-diligence and business plan creation. Operational analysis, revenue enhancement and cost containment, strategy creation and execution. Site selection and real estate analysis; marketing, information technology, human resources systems. Management and business improvement.
Summary Project Experience:
• Expert Consultant detailed restaurant business and economics analysis, major deep dive research project actions, projects underway (four separate projects).
• Subject Matter Expert for international strategy consulting firm working major chain restaurant improvement project (one engagement).
• Restaurant marketing, menu, sales, and earnings forecasting and analysis centered on publicly traded restaurant companies (many engagements).
• Economic and Business feasibility assessments (numerous) for various hospitality and retail sector clients. Teaching and counseling of clients.
• Research: identification of econometric factors by market to create unit growth model, by major market, major QSR operator client.
• Management Systems assessment, conceptualization, planning and implementation for retail/hospitality sector client, via two yearlong project.
• Business assessment and profit improvement plan creation for service sector (restaurant and retail sector clients, numerous). Focused on operations, financial management, marketing, concept design and human resources issues.
• New business start-up planning, business plan analysis and review, counseling (numerous clients)
• Operational Reporting: assessment of operators’ financial and operational systems, creation and refinement of revenue, expense and other balance scorecard like metrics, data collection means created, worked into financial reporting process.
• Reimplementation of Standard food and labor cost system: baselining and assessment of current system.
About Pacific Management Consulting Group, Expert Witness
How Pacific Management Consulting Group Helps Clients
How Pacific Management Consulting Group is Different
Press Clips from Pacific Management Consulting Group
Insights & Comments from John A. Gordon, Expert Witness
Curriculum Vitae of John A. Gordon, Expert Witness
Pacific Management Consulting Group in the Social NetworksTwitter LinkedIn
• Principal, Pacific Management Consulting Group, 2003 to present
Management Consulting Group, focused upon financial management and operations management process improvement for clients.
• Senior Associate, Booz Allen Hamilton, San Diego, CA, 2000 to 2002
Worldwide premier Management and Technology Consulting firm, Economic Analysis Group.
• Chief Financial Officer (1996-2000), and earlier, Manager of Financial Analysis (1989-1995) NAVY MWR (Hospitality) Program, Washington DC.
$700M international restaurant, hospitality and services operator.
• Earlier: Cost/Financial Analyst, Multi-Unit Supervisor, General Manager
Two NYSE listed restaurant concerns, QSR Burger Sector and Family Dining Sector.
Legal Experience & Services
Litigation Support Project Experience: Twelve federal and state actions. Testimony and deposition. Representative matters:
• Engagement One: Chain Restaurant PSLRA Securities Action: chain restaurant federal securities matter (PSLRA) item. Provided company and relevant peer research, intelligence and analysis, input to complaints and answer, etc. Federal 2nd and 6th Circuit matter. 12-month engagement.
• Engagement Two: Chain Restaurant Franchisee v. Franchisor Action: Multiple Federal and State actions. Provided company and relevant sector operations, management, supply chain, financial management research, intelligence and analysis, input to complaints, answers, and pleadings. 18-month engagement, ending November 2009. Ongoing, 2010.
• Engagement Three: Chain Restaurant Menu Labeling Action: provided declaration and deposition, and relevant company intelligence, analysis and research on restaurant menu and sales, product mix and financial returns topics. Ongoing, 2010.
• Engagement Four: Chain Restaurant PSLRA Securities Action: Chain Restaurant Federal securities action, for plaintiffs. Provided company and sector research, intelligence and analysis, input to complaints and answer, etc. Ongoing, 2010.
Member of: National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts, San Diego Food and Beverage Association, Coalition of Franchisee Associations.
References: client, business and personal references available upon request.
Publications:http://seekingalpha.com/author/john-gordon/articles/latest, www.fohboh.com, www.seekingalpha.com.
Selected Press Quotes: Nations Restaurant News, San Diego Union Tribune, Indianapolis Star, Research Recap, and Voice of San Diego.
Extensive business and professional background. University degree and continuing studies.
Master Analyst, Financial Forensics, 2012
Articles published via Restaurant Research, Restaurant Finance Monitor, Franchise Valuations restaurant space professional journals, among others. Widely quoted in the business press: Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, National Public Radio, Nations Restaurant News and many others.
Contact Principal for client and professional references.
BS, Business, Indiana University
Articles Published by Pacific Management Consulting Group
Restaurant Sector: Expected 2012 Themes
The Restaurant space can expect an exciting, challenging year. What will be driving influences? US restaurant inventory won’t decline, despite the compelling need for that to happen. Almost 1 million US food and beverage venues mean you can get something to eat almost anywhere. This industry is based on growth, and in the US that is difficult. We don’t feel flat inventory expectations to be a positive driver of same store sales as some have hoped.Read Article