Microwave Oven and Heating Expert Witness
R.F. Schiffmann Associates, Inc. laboratory specializes in all areas of microwave heating. New product R&D on microwave ovens, foods, packaging and cookware, as well as non-food products, resulting in a large number of successful consumer products. Product testing of microwavable foods, packages, cookware, development of label instructions and more. Development of industrial microwave heating processes.
Have successfully identified serious flaws in a number of microwavable consumer products. New microwave process development for many industries including food, pharmaceutical, aerospace, chemical, textile, medical and more, many of which are successful commercial systems. Seminars and courses on microwave theory and applications: have taught for over 45 years in the USA, Europe and Australia. Expert witness services in all areas relating to microwave heating including personal injury, products liability, medical malpractice,felony murder, and patent and contract issues.
Litigation Support Services
Mr. Bob Schiffmann provides expert witness testimony to both plaintiff and defense attorneys.
Areas of Expertise
Bob Schiffmann has been actively working with microwave heating since 1961. His initial activities involved the development of a number of industrial microwave processes that were installed in the USA, Europe and Japan. This work continues to the present time in both food and non-food applications in many industries including medical, pharmaceutical, aerospace, chemical, textiles and more. As the consumer microwave oven became popular much of Bob's work was directed into this area. This includes the development of numerous consumer microwavable products including foods, packaging and cookware. He has also done many performance tests on these microwavable products for many companies.
He is an inventor of 28 US Patents, all but two of which are microwave related. The other two concern the preservation of fruits and vegetables.
Microwavable Products Legal Consultant
Microwave Litigation Support, Selected Cases
Bob Schiffmann’s Microwave Consulting Projects, Expert Witness
Bob Schiffmann’s Publications
Robert F. Schiffmann's Teaching, Courses and Seminars
Contact R.F. Schiffmann Associates, Inc. - Litigation Support
Robert F. Schiffmann - R.F. Schiffmann Associates, Inc. in the Social NetworksFacebook LinkedIn
1959-1963; 1964-1971: DCA Food Industries, Inc.: Senior Research Scientist and Member of Laboratory Operating Committee. Developed numerous several microwave & non-microwave processes for various area of food processing.
1963-1964 VP Research Nucleonics Corporation of America: ran a laboratory developing radioactive standards and chemicals for industrial use. Also headed a radiation safety activity.
1971-1978 Partner Bedrosian & Associates: Developed numerous consumer food products including entrees, desserts, sauces, soups, beverages, yogurts, frozen, shelf stable, and more. Also developed numerous non-food products including Carpet Fresh, rug and textile cleaners, cosmetics, and more.
1978-present President R.F. Schiffmann Associates, Inc.: Initially involved in many non-microwave food products including dietary products; snack, desserts, frozen and shelf stable and more. In 1983 the company focused all its activities on microwave products and processes. Since that time it has developed many consumer microwavable products including frozen, refrigerated, and shelf-stable items; desserts, snacks, entrees, specialty foods and more. We have also developed many industrial microwave processes for both food and non-food applications: aerospace, pharmaceutical, chemical, food, etc.
Legal Experience & Services
Bob Schiffmann has served as an expert witness in over 20 cases: trademarks, patent infringement, contracts, fires, personal injuries and felony murder, and has testified in depositions and court.
1980 Trademark violation suit, (plaintiff)
1988 Patent infringement suit, (defendant)
1990 Patent infringement suit, (defendant)
1991 Contracts case, (defendant)
1992 Industrial RF fire, (insurance co. plaintiff)
1994 Patent infringement, (defendant)
1996 Industrial microwave fire, (insurance co. plaintiff)
1997 Contract case, (defendant)
2000 Felony murder case, (expert for the Prosecutor)
2000 Personal injury case, (plaintiff)
2001 Industrial microwave fire, (UK insurance co. plaintiff)
2001 Trade secret infringement suit, (plaintiff)
2002 Personal injury case, (defendant)
2003 Patent infringement suit, (defendant)
2003 Patent infringement suit, (defendant)
2003 Personal injury case, (defendant)
2004 Personal injury case, (plaintiff)
2005 IP suit (defendant)
2005 IP suit, (defendant)
2005 Medical malpractice suit, (plaintiff)
2005 Class action suit, (plaintiffs)
2005 Personal injury suit, (defendant)
2006 Felony murder (expert for the Prosecutor)
2007 Personal injury suit, (plaintiff)
2008 Personal injury suit, (plaintiff)
References are available upon request
Fellow, President and Board Member of the International Microwave Power Institute
Honorary Member of UK Microwave Technology Association
Member of Consultants Council of American Packaging Institute
Emeritus Member of Institute of Food Technologists
Certified Food Scientist-Institute of Food Technologists
Vice President of the Microwave Working Group
Founding Member of AMPERE: Association for Microwave Power in Europe for Research and Education
Emeritus Member of the Institute of Packaging Professionals
With over 55 years experience developing microwave products and processes, a strong scientific background and many years of industrial experience, Bob brings a level of practical experience and knowledge unmatched by his peers. He has developed and tested many consumer microwave and non-microwave food products; developed numerous industrial microwave processing systems such as baking ovens, proofers and fryers; granola processing; sausage manufacture; airplane components manufacture, and more.
He has worked extensively in the pharmaceutical, medical, chemical, food and other industries. He has conducted independent research on the dangers of microwave ovens including the heating of baby food, microwave heating pads and microwave-caused fires. He teaches numerous international courses on microwave technology. He has also invented many microwave processes, devices, products and systems that have resulted in 30 United States patents plus many international patents.
Awards & Honors
President, Chairman, and Board Member and Fellow of the International Microwave Power Institute
Honorary Member of the UK Microwave Technology Association
Scientific Lecturer for the Institute of Food Technologists
Certified Food Scientist - Institute of Food Technologists
Metaxas Microwave Pioneer Award - first recipient
Putnam Award for Outstanding Food Process
Best Paper Award - International Microwave Power Institute
Chairman 4th World Congress on Microwave & RF Applications
Seminars & Training
Lecturer and Course Director for 3 courses presented by The Center for Professional Advancement: Industrial Drying of Heat Sensitive Materials; Microwave and RF Applications for Industry; Microwave Oven Technology. Has also presented seminars on various microwave topics at conferences throughout North America, Europe and Australia. Have presented many in-house technical seminars for industrial companies in the United States, Canada and Europe. Was Technical Program Chairman for approximately 20 International microwave conferences.
1. “Microwave Packaging” (1992) - book
2. "Microwave Processing in the U.S. Food Industry (1992)
3. "Major Problems in Heating Foods in Microwave Ovens" (1992)
4. "Microwave Packaging in the United States - Recession vs. Innovation" (1992)
5. “Microwave Technology in Baking” in “Advances in Baking Technology” (1993)
6. "Microwave Ingredient Reactions and Interactions" (1993)
7. "Technical Considerations in Preparing Microwave Label Instructions" (1993)
8. "Microwavable Foods: Zapping the Problem Areas" (1993)
9. "Designing the Microwave Food Laboratory" (1993)
10. "Critical Factors in Microwave Generated Aromas (1993)
11. "Microwave Safety - Part I", Food Product Design (1994)
12. "Microwave Safety - Part II", Food Product Design (1994)
13. "Deceptive Heating May Make Microwaved Food Injurious" (1994)
14. "Microwave and Dielectric Drying" (1995)
15. “Commercializing Microwave Systems : Paths to Success or Failure” (1995)
16. "Testing Microwavable Products - Key to Consumer Satisfaction" (1995)
17. “Fundamental Principles of Industrial Microwave and RF Processing" (1997)
18. “Microwave Technology - a Half Century of Progress” (1997)
19. “Microwave Processes in the Food Industry” (2000)
20. “Fires in Industrial Microwave and Radio Frequency Processing Systems” (2000)
21. "The Status of Industrial Microwave Applications in the United States” (2001)
22. "Designing Industrial Microwave Heating Systems for Safe Operation: I. Batch Ovens” (2002)
23. The Microwave Sausage Patty Cooker – A Case Study” (2004)
24. Microwave Packaging" in "Microwave Processing of Food" (2005)
25. "A Primer on Evaluating the Economics of Microwave Processing Systems (2006)
26. “Even Heating Technology” (2007)
27. “Injuries Caused by Microwave Ovens Part 1” (2008); Part 2 (2009)
28,.“Methodology Required to Obtain Statistically Meaningful Results” (2009)
29. “Industrial Microwave Processing of Food: Principles and Three Case Studies” (2010)
30. "Inexpensive Microwave Leaka: Preparation of Not-Ready-To-Eat Products" (ge Detectors - Are They Worth It? - a Performance Evaluation" (2012)
31. " Microwave Oven Food Safety: Preparation of Not-Ready-To-Eat Products (2013)
32. "Microwave Chemical & Materials Processing" (2018)
Bob's numerous clients reads like a who's who of industrial companies and includes Nestle, General Foods, Conagra, Pillsbury, Proctor and Gamble, American Home Foods, Rubbermaid, Chlorox, Quaker Oats, Airwick, Boeing, Metal Castings, UCB Chemical, and many more. References will be supplied upon request.
1955 BS Columbia University - Pharmacy
1959 MS Purdue University - Physical & Analytical Chemistry
1968 - 1970 PhD program in Biophysics @ NY University